Thursday, February 13, 2014

Checks on Checks on Checks

Blazer (Mango, similar here and here), Shirt (Madewell, similar here), Trousers (Zara, similar here and here), Shoes (Nine West - old, similar here), Scarf (Zara, similar here), Necklaces (Dogeared), Ring (Blanca Monros Gomez via Of a Kind - Christmas present from The Man)

While the East Coast explores the manifold benefits of wearing 6 pairs of long johns under absolutely everything, I am shimmying around San Francisco with not-accidental naked ankles and wrists like an ASSHOLE. 

And I feel pretty great about it. I guess it's been cold here, I suppose, but I don't think I'm allowed to call 52 degrees Fahrenheit "cold" when THIS is happening elsewhere to our fellow countrymen. Also, WUT. Also, WUT

Anyway, back to my impudently bare ankles. 

What has this season brought us aside from a fancy new Ice Age? Myriad versions of plaid -- basically any incarnation of a grid-like tesselation of various lines, colors, and configurations, we saw this past Fall/Winter. (And pinstripes, too, but that's a whole other turdy post.) And did you know that despite the fact that our punishment for a lack of Winter on the West Coast is that we're in the middle of AN ACTUAL GOVERNMENTALLY-PROCLAIMED DROUGHT, we can all totally rest assured because if there is one thing we're not short of, it's different kinds of plaid? Did you know that? Fashion = Captain Planet.

Here are some fun vocab words to play with:

Houndstooth (also known as Dogtooth if you're from anywhere in Europe)
Glen Plaid (also known as Prince of Wales Check. sounds fun, right?!)

And it's nothing else other than my enthusiastically misplaced elation regarding the surplus of plaids at my disposal this season, and the proclivity toward nakedness that my ankles and wrists tend to have, that have inspired this particular outfit.

I'm wearing 4 different kinds of plaid here all at once, and what prevents me from looking like I just rolled around in a pile of my clothes and sauntered out the door (although, maybe I do look that way? DO I?) is the fact that all of the plaids are partying with the same colors, with black and white being the most popular kids at the party. With some combination of the same 2 or 3 colors, you can pile on the prints like you would the mashed potatoes at Thanksgiving.

Ok, maybe 5 kinds of plaid if you count my hair.

1 comment: