Saturday, June 29, 2013

Candy Corn

Dress (Plenty by Tracy Reese via Anthropologie - so old, similar here, here, and here), Blazer (Forever 21, similar here), Shoes (Zara - old, similar here, and here), Necklace (Dogeared)

Ages ago, back when I was a certified Anthroholic, daily I would pour over the Anthropologie website with a kind of diligence and devotion found mostly only in craziesMel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory status. I would chuckle to myself as I read the names of their cleverly-titled wares, with their obscure Art Historical and cultural references, and their expanded color palette (e.g. "Marpesia Kimono Blouse" and "Cerulean Dream Dress"). The fittingness of these names was undeniable (if you understood the references), but at times the copy could get exhausting—SOMETIMES YOU JUST WANNA SHOP WITHOUT A HISTORY LESSONand slightly full of itself. Not to mention, no one would ever look at your blouse and be like, "Mmm that shirt...it's so fabulous...it's sooo...ancient-Greek-Mythological-co-ruling-sister-Queen-of-the-Amazon!" "I know, right?!" Whatever.

Anyway, this dress was appropriately named "The Candy Corn Shift," and the funny thing is, every time I wear itand I mean every timeat least one person who is not my sister says to me (unprompted), "You look like candy corn!" which I always take as a compliment, rightly or wrongly. And I smile, because that random copywriter intern working for Anthro's website 4 years ago decided to call this dress what she did for whatever reason, and people everywhere, ever since then, seem to agree with her decision. I just find that kind of amusing. It's a stupid story, but it's the story of this dress, so there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment