Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Potato, Poh-tah-toh: Check Mates


Checks are IN. Polka dots are OUT [said with a dismissive flourish of the hand]. Ok, polka dots, maybe not...but checks are definitely IN. In any case, the ferocity of my (and seemingly everyone else's) addiction to monochrome checks, stripes, and well, everything, incited by Marc Jacobs last Fall at his S/S '13 show, continues to astonish and delight me each day. Case in point, this blazer I refuse to put in my closet after weeks because I like looking at it too much (IT GOES WITH OUR WALL COLOR, OKAY?!). 

Next stop: checkered pants. These Kate Spaders on the left are, as her aesthetic would have us expect, crisp and clean with a slight aroma of sickly sweet vintage (you can just about picture them on a Gidget-type coquette, sipping on a strawberry milkshake, noisily and unapologetically, as she scans the jukebox for her favorite Franky Valli tune). CUTE, but the Topshop pair has a slightly more classic trouser cutnotice the pleating at the waistwith a print that's not nearly as in-focus. I like both, but the Topshop pair seems a little less obvious to me (that's a good thing), and it comes with a much nicer price tag. 

Either way, I like strawberry milkshakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment