Thursday, February 21, 2013

Spunky Punky

Blazer (Zara), Shirt (Forever 21 - they make a mean $5 band tee, similar here), Skirt (Urban Outfitters, similar here), Tights (Hue via Anthropologie, similar here), Shoes (Dolcetta by Dolce Vita, similar here), Necklaces (Dogeared and Urban Outfitters), Watch (Fakety-fake-fake-fake $20 at BP. here

This past week, the shows at London's Fashion Week, with all of their re-envisioning of, commenting on, and appropriating of fashion tropes and trends of the pastspecifically of the british persuasion, those like punk, "Brit pop" and even some throwbacks to medieval couturier techniques(!)had me inspired to do a little interpretation of my own. That, and my recently sprained ankle has forced me to get creative with my oft-overlooked supply of flats and sneakers, which I have been neglecting for quite some time.

Not surprisingly, punk was a pervasive theme in many of the Autumn/Winter '13 shows in London. Of them, Preen was one of the lines I found to be the most inspiring (and covetable), as it employed numerous subtle and not-so-subtle punk hallmarks and references (HELLO OVERSCALE ARGYLE), ingeniously woven into one thoroughly modern collection. Obviously, I do not even come close to looking like this. But I did decide to give my version of punk a go, sans cigarettes and snarly facial expressions a la Johnny Rotten during his early-Vivienne Westwood days.

No comments:

Post a Comment